Friday, September 23, 2011

Finding a Purpose

At my college convocation, Rudy Giuliani excitedly explained to my class that we were about to embark on the greatest adventure yet - that of finding our contribution to society.  Finding that niche in which we can, individually, make a difference to improve the future of society. Making the discovery that you can add unique value to your profession is a goal that I hope to hold on to throughout my life. It must be so empowering to wake up daily and know that the work you do changes lives (current or future). My experiences over the past 2 months at my new job have been gradually solidifying my convictions about where and what my contribution will be. Its an enlightening process and it forces an excited smile when I think about my future and the potential I have to make a contribution. I think its a journey that never really ends and probably goes through several evolutions as you experience everything that life has to offer whilst you climb the age tree. It is easy to fall into the mindset that you go to work on a daily basis to meet your basic needs (making money to support yourself and your family).  Try not to lose sight of the fact that your effort and productivity make a difference - realizations like this can make the difference between waking up happy and just waking up. I believe everyone strives to make a difference and create a legacy to be proud of.  Well, there is no better time to start than right now so get out there and make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment